Thursday, March 12, 2009

6, Ballygunj Place

For a change, a culinary blog.

For a foodholic like me, the mere mention of a cuisine, delicacy,dish would open the sluicegates of jollus and keep me hooked on to it ruining me the current interests too.When it crosses the threshold, what else to do than to dash to your fav joint.One such surge happened last saturday which resulted in me cutting accross Indiranagar in search of a Bengali restaurant.

The restaurant is aptly named to induce the curiosty for a travel frek like me.. "No6/ Ballygunj Place".Located on 12 th main Indiranagar above the Cafe Coffee Day, its run on the first floor of what looks like a home. The interiors are well annointed and the staff courteous too.The menu was handed to us what looked like a mamoth relic straight out of Paris Louvre Museum which is pursued by our good ol' Tom Hanks.The beauty of it was the names were impregnable to my 28 yr old vocabulary. But some names were more understandable as they were some prominent landmarks in Kolkota like Salt Lake, Elgin street, Chowringee Lane etc..

Started stretching my mouth vertically instead of horizontally to pronounce them, which caught the attention of a gentle mannered waiter who put me at ease.Nyways, i decided am not going to eat it (I meant the menu book daammmmit). Started with Aamchor Sorbot, a thick juice made of Dried Mangos and pepper.Its tangy , spicy... instanteously made me to humm umm mmmmmmmm.It went well with Manchow Chop, a cutlet like starter served with tamarind sauce laced with poppy seeds and fengreek. A tangy combo.
The main course was entirely greek and latin, our helplessness was clearly visible in mine and Aparna's eyes which were eager for any assistance to help us understand what it meant.The waiter again came to our rescue and based on our preferences, we settled for Bengali Dum Aaloo with Peas and 2 kinds of puris, one a luchi with peas paste sandwiched in between and the other Radhaballavi, a batoora like puri the size of a dinner plate !
We ordered for Shoktoni, a dish teeming with lots of vegetables cooked in Cocunut milk, which looks and tastes similar to Keralite veg stew.
The combi was heavenly and the rest of the gravy was gulped down with plain bengali steamed rice.
I could listen to lot of wahs wahs and mcch mcch from NV guys who were having a battle between hand and mouth munching on lamb, chikken, kitten, mutton..and tons and tons...
I recommend this place for any food lover whose looking out for change of taste from his mundane gulpers.
Avg Price: 500for 2 (Veggie).

1 comment:

Shan said...

"Started stretching my mouth vertically instead of horizontally to pronounce them"....Had a good laugh....Nee certify panna nalla dhaan irukkum, will try when I'm back , I'll tell abt NV, u can add in here :-))